Young Urbanists (YUs) within the Academy are made up of students and early career professionals that are keen to develop their knowledge of the principles, techniques and processes of good urbanism. YUs are interested and passionate in fields such as planning and design, development and globalisation, community and politics, and the arts.
YUs will network with their peers and meet Academicians. Academy events include opportunities for Young Urbanists to present their ideas, collaborate on projects and share learning with Academicians.
The benefits of becoming a Young Urbanist include:
- Access to informal networking forums with peers and over 500 Academicians from the UK, Ireland, Europe and abroad
- Free entry to special events designed for Young Urbanists (i.e. lectures, study trips, etc.)
- The chance to present and share your own work at peer-to-peer Pecha Kucha-style events and other forums
- Access to unique work opportunities exclusive to Young Urbanist members (i.e. supporting projects by Academicians or related external activities)
- The opportunity to be published in AoU literature
- Discounted or free access to major AoU events (ie. Congress, Awards Ceremony) in return for voluntary work, thereby gaining valuable work experience
Franca Carassai - Architectural & Urban Designer, Campbell Cadey
How to Join
YU membership to the Academy is granted following the completion of an application form, including a statement of interest and details on course information or employment. Successful applicants will receive an invitation to join from the Membership Coordinator. Membership to the Academy as a YU is open to anyone under the age of 35 years. All membership fees are payable annually in advance. Specific details can be found by clicking on the appropriate membership type:
Young Urbanist Steering Committee
The Young Urbanist Steering Committee (YUSC) has been around since the Network’s inception in 2013 and has shaped the growth and development of the YU's presence.
The YUSC plans the YU annual programme of events, activities, and works hard to develop and implement the strategy for outreach and growth, coordinates funding efforts and make decisions about the future of the Network with a focus on meeting the aspirations of our members. Below are the YUSC members:
Nicholas Hugh Goddard - Urban Designer and Programme Manager, Arup
Ben Meador - Graduate Transport Planner, RPS
Jaffer Muljiani - Sustainability Consultant, BDP
Julie Plichon - Head of Design and Engineering (London), Sustrans
Savini Rajapakse - Urban Designer, The Prince’s Foundation
Kevin Roeton - Associate Town Planner, WSP
For any YU or Membership queries, please contact the Young Urbanist and Membership Coordinator, Roshni Thakker [email protected]