Last Updated: 15 June 2021
- What data do we collect?
- How do we collect your data?
- How will we use your data?
- How do we store your data?
- What are your data protection rights?
- What are cookies?
- What types of cookies do we use?
- How to manage your cookies
- Privacy policies of other website
- How to contact us
- How to contact the appropriate authorities
What data do we collect?
- The Academy of Urbanism collects the following data:
- Personal identification information (name, email address, phone number, etc.)
- Company information (name of company, address, email, etc)
- Enhanced identification information for Members (location, age, interests, skills)
- Your interaction with The Academy of Urbanism (events attended, membership subscription, etc)
How do we collect your data?
You directly provide The Academy of Urbanism with most of the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- Register online for an event
- Complete one of our online forms, including for membership subscriptions
- Register for our newsletter
- Create or add to your online member profile
- Enquire about our organisation, products or activities
The Academy of Urbanism may also receive your data indirectly from the following sources:
- If you book for an event using other means
- If we are collaborating with another like-minded organisation
How will we use your data?
The Academy of Urbanism collects your data so that we can:
- Process your orders and manage your account.
- Email you with information and activities we think you might like, such as events or membership subscriptions.
- Profile our membership to ensure that we are representative of the communities in which we work.
The Academy of Urbanism and The Glasgow School of Art (GSA) have a Data Sharing Agreement in place to develop cooperation for research networking on the subject of urbanism through the establishment of a Research Assistant (RA) post, based at the Glasgow Urban Laboratory (Mackintosh School of Architecture), GSA. Further details on this Data Sharing Agreement can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e61pxkfc0t5ples/Data%20Sharing%20Agreement%20AoU%20-%20GSA%20-%2018%20February%202020%20Final.pdf?dl=0
How do we store your data?
The Academy of Urbanism securely stores your data using the following third-party software:
Dropbox: is used to store the Academy’s files, which include reports of membership and data from events such as information on attendees. (https://assets.dropbox.com/documents/en/legal/dfb-data-processing-agreement.pdf)
Google Drive: is used to store the Academy’s files, which include reports of membership and data from events such as information on attendees (https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en-US).
Google Gmail: is used as the Academy’s email communication tool (https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en-US).
Stripe: is used for one-off online card payments (https://stripe.com/en-gb/privacy).
GoCardless: is used for Direct Debit agreements. (https://gocardless.com/privacy/payers/).
If you are not a recognised Member of the Academy, nor have you opted-in to receive our communications, we will delete your data, with the exception of your name, organisation, and an identifier as to why we have your data. This is to ensure that you are not contacted again, unless you ask us to do so. If you have actively un-subscribed to our mailing list, our system will retain your email address and name so that we do not contact you again.
The Academy of Urbanism would like to send you information about products and services of ours that we think you might like. If you have agreed to receive marketing, you may always opt out at a later date.
You have the right at any time to stop The Academy of Urbanism from contacting you for marketing purposes or giving your data to others with whom we have a Data Sharing Agreement.
If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please contact [email protected].
What are your data protection rights?
The Academy of Urbanism would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
The right to access – You have the right to request for copies of your personal data.
The right to rectification – You have the right to request that The Academy of Urbanism corrects any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request The Academy of Urbanism to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
The right to erasure – You have the right to request that The Academy of Urbanism erases your personal data, under certain conditions.
The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that The Academy of Urbanism restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to The Academy of Urbanism’s processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
The right to data portability – You have the right to request that The Academy of Urbanism transfers the data that we have collected to another organisation, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at our email: [email protected]
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behaviour information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology
For further information, visit allaboutcookies.org.
- Keeping you signed in
- Understanding how you use our website and who is using our website
What types of cookies do we use?
There are a number of different types of cookies, however, our website uses:
- Functionality – The Academy of Urbanism uses these cookies so that we recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. These could include what language you prefer and location you are in. A mix of first-party and third-party cookies are used.
- Advertising – The Academy of Urbanism uses these cookies to collect information about your visit to our website, the content you viewed, the links you followed and information about your browser, device, and your IP address.
- Security – third-party tools are used to ensure that The Academy of Urbanism website remains online and in good health.
The Cookies we use
Platform-generated cookies (_foundation...)
Cookies placed to provide standard website functionality like remembering whether someone is logged in and remembering the status of their orders. These cookies are set with a name starting with '_foundation[...]'
New Relic error tracking (nr-data.com JSSESSIONID)
We use New Relic to process logs and help us troubleshoot errors. New Relic places a session cookie to facilitate this.
HotJar analytics (vars.hotjar.com _hj... _BEAMER...)
We use HotJar, an analytics service, to monitor user behaviour across the platform. This data is anonymised and it is used to allow us to continuously improve the software, making it more intuitive for end users and administrators.
Cookies placed to apply security settings.
Cookies placed to manage the payment process.
Google Analytics (_ga...)
Cookies places to collect anonymous site usage data into Google Analytics. Permission for this cookie is explicitly requested in the form of a banner.
Cookies are placed to collect marketing data from videos embedded on this site from youtube.com
How to manage cookies
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and this website tells you how to remove cookies from your browser: https://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
Privacy policies of other websites
How to contact us
Email us at: [email protected]
Call us: 00 44 (0) 20 7251 8777
How to contact the appropriate authority
Should you wish to report a complaint or if you feel that The Academy of Urbanism has not addressed your concern in a satisfactory manner, you may contact the Information Commissioner’s Office: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/